Saturday, January 24, 2009

VERMONT+ CAN WC's+ BH

after a disappointing week in New York I was keen to get back on my bike and have a strong showing in vermont for national champs. Bikes were running good, I had a strong mental state and was running real well. The only thing that was bothering me was the horrible track..It was not typical vermont style track. They had a big woods section with hardly any fast parts... It actually got to be slow uphill in a couple sections. And after coming off a small injury and not being able to train before, i knew this was going to hurt my performance. I still thought I would be able to pull a good one out. Practice had gone good all week, for the most part. and I was ready to race. There was a big storm on the way so i played a tactical qualifying run. i was 3rd to last. This was a benefit for the final. I had a good warm up and was ready to go. My run started off strong. I had very good lines and i was confident that it would make me a lot faster than my competition.. Half way down after a big mistake i had a big problem focusing. Once i hit the uphill section my mind was all over the place and i knew i was out of the race. The national champs brings in a big showing of competition. So i knew i was out of the race, 18th place. Super bummed! But i did learn a lot about mental preparation. So i know in the long run that this race would benefit me.

After yet another disappointing race we headed to Mont st. anne, Canada. I have been there last year and couldn't wait to get back on the course. The course there is definitely a mans course. Super fast and no letting off the entire time. A real world cup classic. BIkes were working well again and I was going through wheels like tires. Race time was coming along quick and I was ready for it. I hopped up on the line ready for a good run. I was basting all my lines and having an awesome time. Right near the bottom in the last rock section I stuffed a rock with my front wheel and it sent me over the bars. It was a time consuming fall that would see me fail to qualify. This was again another depressing race. Traveling is definitely a bonus in our sport, but when your not riding well and bad luck is always lurking around, it makes it hard. Not only to just to get around but in performance as well. This was showing in my riding and racing. Having no support and no body to help me out, made my performances and times hurt!

Heading off to Bromont, Canada I had a bad attitude toward everything because of my poor riding. I tried to flip it but its not an easy task. Thank god that the track was cool, i knew this would help me turn my frown upside down. The track was steep, wet, and fun. It proved to be real challenging and sometimes scary! I was riding pretty well and was waiting for everything to fall into place, and have my bad luck end. As racing time neared i was feeling confident and strong. I got to the top of the hill nice and early. I did a good warm up and got ready... Started my run riding strong. I was having tons of fun, up till the steep bit in the trees. I did my normal line which has never givin me any problems. But there was a random root that sent my front wheel off in another direction, towards a tree. After banking a turn off a tree and coming to a complete stop, i got back on it, but another crash in the very next section would have me ending my weekend with more bad luck! Still didn't qualify for the finals. Only a few seconds off with 2 falls! DEPRESSING!

Home was a good place for me to end my bad luck streak! It felt nice to be home for more than a few days. I got to train on my own trails, ride my home places, and go to my beaches! The rest and mental relaxation prepared me for my next race. I hoped in the team motor home and off to Brianhead, Utah we went. the course was really sick. flowed real good and had some real DH sections. It was fast and natural. I was riding really really well in practice and all the way till finals. We didnt have qualifying due to a storm on the way. I had a good feeling about the day. A small storm came through in the middle of the night, so i was curious what it did to the course. I was the first one on the course in the morning and did a cruiser run and checked some lines. Then a last practice run! Race time came along and I was so ready for a good result. Went to the top with my MTX bike to warm up on the stationary trainer. After a good warm up i was ready as ready could be. I got on with my run, I was feeling a little bit slow on the top part of my run, and tried to open it up on the bottom. I pinned some sections real real good and I came down with the fastest time with one rider left, Brad Bennedict. Brad B. came down 6 seconds off my time. I won my first national! I was soooo stoked!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of troubles when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I begin to get real money.
It's all about how to choose a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the income with me.

You can get interested, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Congratulations dude! i know its old, but that's cool that you blogged about it.
-Joe from fvhs